viernes, 28 de octubre de 2011

CIV. Modern Eon | Fiction Tales





















Fiction Tales
©Dindisc. UK, 1981.


I had been living in Plymouth for 3 weeks when I was given free-reign to spend £10 at the local Virgin Megastore in Armada Way. It was 1981 and I had a tenner burning a hole in my pocket and standing in, what seemed to me at the time, the largest record shop in the world. Having lived near Devizes in Wiltshire for the previous 3 years, Plymouth was already a huge city to me and wandering into the erstwhile Branson empire was a treat in itself. But I wasn't prepared for the choice and the range of lovely little 7" slices of plastic discs nestling on wire racks, clinging haphazardly to the walls behind the counter. I remember spotting "Procession" by New Order, "Burning Car" by John Foxx and "Euthenics" by Modern Eon. So I bought all 3 (and another pair of repressed Devo singles) and hurried home on the 42 bus to Manadon to my parents house to give them a spin.

30 minutes later, 10 songs later, 5 singles later - big smiles and the knowledge that i had found my nirvana. A scruffy big shop full of records with staff that smoked on the counter and a security guard who could make Hitler look like a childminder.

Modern Eon were a band I knew little about. They came from Liverpool and were signed to the Virgin offshoot Dindisc, home to OMD, Martha & The Muffins, Nash The Slash and Monochrome Set. They released one album and 5 singles and appeared on a few European collections including "Double Art". So why the attention? In short, it was down to mystery. They were rarely interviewed and didn't publish their pictures on their record sleeves. They also didn't get radio play too often although I did hear their singles occasionally spun on John Peel's show on Radio One. But they were a mystery. Maybe it was the vocals, all whispered and hoarsely delivered with atmospheric surroundings and no hint as to what was to come.

Pkrpmusic 





0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario