domingo, 23 de octubre de 2011

CI. Wall Of Voodoo | Dark Continent

















Dark Continent
©I.R.S. US, 1981.


They call it "minimal synth", but there's still enough going on to give me a piercing headache. It's just corny, and doesn't work to its aim of mixing spaghetti western soundtracks with synth pop. The result is something that hardly even works as a novelty (Stan Ridgeway has a ridiculous voice; I could see him singing Halloween-influenced novelty songs a la "The Monster Mash"), let alone a quality work of art.

At the very least, I thought I would enjoy the atmosphere. Dark Continent... a wide-open and eerie landscape. But it's more like The Hill Have Eyes, lost-in-the-middle-of-nowhere torture music. Basically, if I was driving somewhere and my car broke down, this would be the last thing I'd want to hear on the radio. This music is nothing but grapefruit in my open wounds; I set out to find more synth pop that was as awesome as OMD, but all I've found is disappointment (and murderous mutants) around every corner I've looked.

It could have been more offensively terrible than it is, but the fact of the matter is, it's still offensively terrible. They are to synth pop what Pearl Jam is to rock music. Just full of ugliness and auditory vomits that barely resemble songs.

Seattle Junkie Queen



 

1 comentarios:

Marta dijo...

Thank you very much for this album. Fantastic.

Publicar un comentario